You have undoubtedly heard by now that Hulk Hogan’s WWE contract has been terminated after audio from his sex tape leaked which included Hogan making very racist comments. Here are some writings from around the wrestling interwebs about the story:
– The original report came from the National Enquirer and describes the leaked audio. In it, Hogan uses the n-word several times in reference to his daughter Brooke’s dating life.
– Before the story was published by the Enquirer, WWE had already issued a statement saying Hogan was no longer with the company and alluded to racism playing a part. The full statement reads, “WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.”
– Hogan issued his own statement to People Magazine owning up to the comments, which are from several years ago. His statement reads, “Eight years ago I used offensive language during a conversation. It was unacceptable for me to have used that offensive language; there is no excuse for it; and I apologize for having done it. This is not who I am. I believe very strongly that every person in the world is important and should not be treated differently based on race, gender, orientation, religious beliefs or otherwise. I am disappointed with myself that I used language that is offensive and inconsistent with my own beliefs.”
– Obviously WWE does not have a stellar track record when it comes to the portrayal of various cultures on its programming but the company clearly needed to distance itself from Hogan and did so quickly, removing all mentions of him from WWE.com before issuing a statement. Some have viewed this as WWE hypocritically taking the moral high-ground but what else could the company do in this situation?
– Booker T – forever linked to Hogan thanks to his infamous “We comin’ for you” promo – has weighed in on the situation.